Are you guys bucket-listers? What’s still left on your list for the summer? Is it heirloom tomatoes? You’d better get to it! The beginning of August always catches me off-guard. Time, it just keeps a-flying.
The good thing about August is that, once we’ve gotten over our anxiety over the impending arrival of fall and, in a larger sense, the continual ticking of time, we can slow down and fully appreciate and enjoy the sweetness of this month. And a sweet month it is, indeed. I mean, look at those tomatoes!!! And that leafy lettuce!!! I went on a leisurely little jog to the local farmers’ market this morning, gawked over the beautiful veggies, and treated myself to an overpriced juice on my walk back. I’ve got a few more fun trips left this summer and lots more beaching and outdoor chilling to do before it gets too cold. It’s going to be a good month. It’s the little, simple things sometimes, ya know? Hope you have a great August too. Let’s enjoy these sweet summer moments while they last! At the very least, make yourself some delicious food- like this BLT- with all this pretty summer produce!
really good BLT
1 loaf good focaccia bread (I baked my own using Trader Joe’s Buttermilk Pancake Mix and substituting onion powder for the garlic powder, and fresh thyme for the rosemary)
4-6 leaves of fresh green lettuce
1 medium sized heirloom tomato
8 strips of bacon, cooked
Chipotle-lime aioli (recipe below)
1. If baking your own bread, make according to your favorite recipe! Cut into 4-6 buns, then carefully slice horizontally so that you have two slices per bun for your sandwiches.
2. Prep other ingredients: mix up chipotle-lime aioli (if not already done ahead of time), wash lettuce and tomato, cut tomato into slices, cook bacon.
3. Assemble sandwiches: spread chipotle-lime aioli on insides of each slice of bread. On top of bottom slice for each sandwich, place lettuce, then bacon, then tomato. Stack top slice of bread on top.
1/2 cup light or olive-oil based mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp adobo sauce
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Juice from 1/2 lime
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl or jar with a spoon. Ensure ingredients are mixed well!
2. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.